Thursday 21 March 2013

Me and My Senegalese Friends


Their feet were made to run barefoot in trash and sand,

My feet were made to wear socks and shoes.

Their hands were made to climb trees, hold chickens and cut open coconuts,

My hands were made to wear nail polish and hold a stuffed animal.

My body wasn’t made to live like a Senegalese,

Their body wasn’t made to live like an American.

I can adapt to what my friends do and think but,

My friends will never have to adapt to an American society.

So I run in dirty sand with sandals on,

And I climb trees and hold chickens.

Because it is easier for them to see Jesus in me when I try to act like them,

Not when I act like an American.

So I try, and meanwhile, I have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Thea! I think that is exactly the way you are to approach your new friends! Thank you for your glimpses in your part of the world. I can (in a little bitty way) see how life is in another part of God's creation!

    ReplyDelete